photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, August 10, 2017

BACKPACK POEM

I showed this backpack on my webinar yesterday and someone asked for directions and a copy of the poem.

Punch holes in the top of a lunch bag (which is actually the bottom of the bag). You will need to do this for the children. 
Put a pipe cleaner through the holes and twist to make a handle. 
Lift up the flap and tuck the bottom of the bag under it. 
Give this to children when they register and ask them to decorate it and bring it back with a family photo the first day of school. (You could also do this the first day of school.)
                                

*Every child needs a picture of their family at school, and they also need a picture of their classmates at home. At the end of the first week of school make another backpack with a class photo and send it home to encourage children to talk about their new friends.
                 

Here’s my backpack poem to share with parents to remind them how children learn through play.

WHAT’S IN YOUR BACKPACK?

What’s in your backpack?
It’s empty today.
Where’s your work?
Did you just play?

When I built with blocks
I learned about shapes.
I balanced and shared –
Our skyscraper was great.

I played in the windy house
And talked with my friends.
I rocked a baby
And played pretend

In science I observed,
Guessed, and experimented, too.
The same things grown up
Scientists do.

Art was messy.
I created and explored.
I solved my own problem
When I spilled glue on the floor.

My fingers got a work out
With puzzles and clay.
Those same muscles
Will help me write one day.

I counted and sorted and
And measured, too.
I used my brain
Like a math whiz would do!

Out on the playground
I ran like the wind.
I learned to take turns
And helped a hurt friend.

Story time is what
I always like best.
I can use my imagination
And give my body a rest.

I sang and danced,
Learned a finger play, too.
I answered questions
And said “please” and “thank you.”

There will be time
For worksheets and tests,
But talking and playing
Is how I learn best.

I love to go to school!
I’m glad I’m me.
An empty backpack
Means I’m learning, you see!