photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, July 14, 2017

JULY PD 114 - COMPREHENSION STICKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIilqUtuew

Good readers are active readers and they are always looking for information. These story sticks will prompt children to listen carefully so they can identify the story elements.

What? jumbo craft sticks, sock, markers

How? Write story elements (Who? What? Where? When? Why?) on sticks with a marker. Place the sticks in the sock and throw the sock over your shoulder before you begin to read. After reading the story, let different students choose a stick and tell that part of the story.

*Make another set of sticks that say “Title,” “Author,” “Illustrator,” “Problem,” “Solution.”
                                
*Write “Setting,” “Characters,” “Beginning,” “Middle,” “End” on sticks.

Who? What? Where? When? Why?
Sing this song to the tune of “Ten Little Indians” before reading a story so children will be looking for the information:
     Who? What? Where? When? Why?
     Who? What? Where? When? Why?
     Who? What? Where? When? Why?
     Ask questions when you read.


I've Got the Whole Story in My Hand
On the fingers of a cotton glove write:  "Who?"  "What?"  "Where?"  "When?"  "Why?"

Sing this song to the tune of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."
     I've got the whole story in my hand.
     I've got the whole story in my hand.
     I've got the whole story in my hand
     And I can read.
     I've got the  "Who?"  "What?"  "Where?"  "When?"  "Why?"
     I've got the  "Who?"  "What?"  "Where?"  "When?"  "Why?"
     I've got the  "Who?"  "What?"  "Where?"  "When?"  "Why?"
     And I can read.


Want more great ideas to start your new year?  Have you signed up for our new blog happies4teachers.blog?